« Home | Happy Chef Blogging Friday! » | Gingerbread...Not just for the Holidays anymore! » | Rice Krispie Treats! » | Today We Take Time Out to Remember Bobby » | THE NAME GAME! » | Happy Chef Blogging Friday! » | Guess Who's Turning 40! » | Finger Licking Good! » | Ina Garten's Famous Flag Cake » | Happy Chef Blogging Friday! » 

Saturday, June 11, 2005 

Fog Island....aka Nantucket


Posted by Hello I always wanted to live here when I was a little girl. It held a certain fascination, a certain magical quality. But, alas...twas not to be.

I found many years ago a cookbook that somewhat eased my non Nantucket living pangs...Nantucket Recipes - From the Fog Island Cafe. I could just imagine myself pulling up a stool at the restaurant and enjoying the hospitality and good food.

What is Nantucket without CRANBERRIES! The island is home to the world's largest natural cranberry bog.

CRANBERRY OATMEAL COOKIES

Yields about 3 dozen cookies

1 lb butter
1 1/2 cups brown sugar
3/4 cup granulated sugar
3 eggs
1 teaspoon vanilla
2 cups rolled oats
2 1/4 cups all purpose flour
2 teaspoons baking soda
1 teaspoon salt
1 1/2 teaspoons ground cinnamon
1 tablespoon orange zest
2 cups shredded coconut
2 cups dried cranberries

Preheat oven to 350F degrees and grease the cookies sheets

In a large mixing bowl, cream butter and sugars together until smooth and fluffy. Beat in eggs and vanilla and mix well.

Add oats, flour, baking soda, salt and cinnamon to the butter mixture and mix thoroughly.

Stir in orange zest, shredded coconut and dried cranberries and mix until evenly distributed in the dough.

Drop cookies by rounded tablespponsful onto greased cookie sheet spacing 2 inches apart.

Bake for 12 - 14 minutes until the cookies are gold brown.

Remove the cookies from the oven and wait a few minute before transferring to cooling racks.

These cookies are somewhat fragile until they cool.



mmmm.. cranberry oatmeal cookies. You are truly a woman after my own stomach.

I had no idea about Nantucket's wealth of cranberries. I've never been there, but I've always wanted to go. I wanted to go when I was a kid because of the movie, "One Crazy Summer". I just wanted to hang on the beach and get drunk with the stork twins. If no one else knows this movie forgive me. :)

The cookies sound great! I have to save that one, maybe for Thanksgiving!

Post a Comment

MY INGREDIENTS

  • I'm SantaBarbarian
  • From Santa Barbara, California, United States
Recipe of Me

Click for Santa Barbara, California Forecast


Local Food and Local Farms

www.flickr.com
This is a Flickr badge showing public items from santa barbarian tagged with Food. Make your own badge here.
Help end world hunger

LOCAL LINKS