« Home | The Chicago Tribune Cookbook » | Everyday Food from Martha Stewart » | California Sizzles...In More Ways Than One! » | Happy Day Before Preakness Blogging » | Music and Food...a Great Combo! » | A Cookie For Jon and The Daily Show Crew » | Williams-Sonoma - The Southwest » | Zingermans! » | Happy Chef Blogging Friday! » | George Lukas Meets Environmentally Friendly Folks » 

Wednesday, May 25, 2005 

A Bread Pudding Elvis Would Have Loved

(Hello is acting up today....so no photo yet)

I am addicted to FoodTV. I must have my FoodTV daily or I go a little nutty. (Well...I guess I am to begin with, but that's an entirely different story) I got a glimpse of Paula Deen yesterday and she was doing some Southern BBQ stuff. And then she got to the desert part of the meal. I nearly died. Talk about a little nutty yet completely Southern, she used a recipe sent to her by her friend Bill Nicholson. He has come up with a way to use Krispy Kreme doughnuts that is quite unusual. Now, THIS is a desert fit for Elvis.

Bill Nicholson's Krispy Kreme Bread Pudding with Butter Rum Sauce

Difficulty: Easy Prep
Time: 10 minutes
Inactive Prep Time: 15 minutes
Cook Time: 1 hour Yield: about 12 servings


2 dozen Krispy Kreme donuts
1 (14-ounce) can sweetened condensed milk (not evaporated)
2 (4.5-ounce) cans fruit cocktail (undrained)
2 eggs, beaten
1 (9-ounce) box raisins
1 pinch salt
1 or 2 teaspoons ground cinnamon
Butter Rum Sauce, recipe follows

Preheat oven to 350 degrees F.

Cube donuts into a large bowl. Pour other ingredients on top of donuts and let soak for a few minutes. Mix all ingredients together until donuts have soaked up the liquid as much as possible.

Bake for about 1 hour until center has jelled. Top with Butter Rum Sauce.


Butter Rum Sauce:
1 stick butter
1 pound box confectioners' sugar
Rum, to taste

Melt butter and slowly stir in confectioners' sugar. Add rum and heat until bubbly. Pour over each serving of Krispy Kreme Bread Pudding

See this recipe on air Tuesday May. 31 at 11:30 AM ET/PT

Other recipes on this show:

Chicken on the Grill
Daddy's Tangy Grilling Sauce
Grilled Asparagus with Lemon and Garlic
Fried Biscuits
Easy Squeeze Honey Butter

Hi Jill. Did you make this bread pudding? I saw the show and must say that I was freaked out by the sugar content of the dish. Did it taste good?

I love Krispy Kreme Doughnuts. (This is what led me to meeting TF.) Sounds good as an alternative to just plain bread pudding.

I also love Food TV and must watch at least an hour a day. On Saturday's I tape 3 hours worth. I love the new Dave Lieberman show, Paula's show, Barefoot Contessa, Rachael Ray's 30 Minute Meals, Low Carb & Lovin It and Easy Entertaining w/Michael Chiarello.

I also watch $40 a Day and Inside Dish, Good Eats, Everyday Italian, and Sara's Secrets. I no longer enjoy Emeril at all. Sick of the "Bam" and "It's not rocket science. We're cooking here" stuff. Too much show for me. I want to see the food being cooked.

The Krispy Kreme Bread Pudding looks amazing. I have to try it. I never have donuts in the house though.

Have you tried the Croissant Bread Pudding from the Barefoot Contessa? The recipe is in her first book. Great book, great recipe. I made it for Sunday breakfast a few months ago and it was soo rich and delish. I have to try Paula's recipe. That picture is TDF.

RisaG

Post a Comment

MY INGREDIENTS

  • I'm SantaBarbarian
  • From Santa Barbara, California, United States
Recipe of Me

Click for Santa Barbara, California Forecast


Local Food and Local Farms

www.flickr.com
This is a Flickr badge showing public items from santa barbarian tagged with Food. Make your own badge here.
Help end world hunger

LOCAL LINKS