« Home | Mark Your Calendars » | It's pouring rain here tonight » | It's that time again....Christmas » | For a great foodie online read.... » | Menu for Hope IV » | Flickr Photo Friday » | Bon Appetit's visual ingredients » | What happens when wired magazine co-founder » | Ming Tsai's Baking Spirits Bright » | McDonald's really wants to compete with Starbucks? » 

Wednesday, December 19, 2007 

What's Christmas without cookies for Santa?

and what is "blogtopia" (y!sctp) without bloggers sharing their cookie recipes!

LAist has a cookie exchange: Oatmeal Peanut Butter Chocolate Chip Cookies.
I think it started about a year ago, when the students in one the classes I was teaching found out that I was going to cooking school. "Will you make us something?" they begged. I pictured myself whipping up something in the French tradition from my growing pile of recipes and modifying it to serve thirty or so college freshmen. "No," I replied sensibly. "But if you're good, I'll make you cookies!"
TwoYolks talks about "Mom's" Holiday cookies: Green Tree Cookies
My mom always made a lot of cookies (and fudge) around Christmas time. While I liked the Russian tea cakes and chocolate chip cookies, the green tree cookies were always my favorite.

I’m not entirely sure why I liked them so much. They aren’t overly sweet. They don’t have a particularly strong flavor. It may just be that I could eat a lot of them without getting overwhelmed by them.

The Official Googleblog has an entry from Amy Ho Seto, an official Google Chef: Holiday Baking Fun
Last week I spent the afternoon baking Christmas cookies with a group of culinary-minded Googlers. Traditionally, this cookie is not just a festive holiday snack; it also makes a great homemade gift and an absorbing arts and crafts project. Our little get-together not only resulted in some melt-in-your mouth treats, but also allowed us to roll up our sleeves and get creative. Check out the photo album from our baking session, and try my recipe for buttery shortbread cookies.
Baking Bytes has: Orange and Pecan Sugar Cookies

For just about every holiday, there are some flavors that just seem to naturally fit right into the overall feel of the season. Christmas in particular has a lot of flavors associated with it, as families often stick with the same traditional foods year after year. Cranberry Orange bread is a staple not only for my family, but for lots and lots of the people I know (even those who don’t celebrate Christams), so while anything that has a combination of cranberries, oranges and nuts will be tasty year-round, it tends to be evocative of the holidays for me - especially if it’s crisp and cold outside.

Oranges and pecans are the two main flavor players in these cookies, which means that they are an excellent holiday cookie as far as I’m concerned. I found the original recipe in a old issue of Food & Drink - an outstanding food magazine published by the LCBO - and it called for a lime-pecan combination. The lime sounded zesty and appealing, but with a tree full of just-ripe blood oranges I couldn’t resist mixing it up a little bit.

The Air Force Link shares a recipe for humanity by telling a delicious tale of "Operation Cookie Crunch"...the community sharing cookies with Alaskan Airmen.
Volunteers gathered more than 5,500 cookies for the single Airmen living in the dormitories Dec. 14 during Operation Cookie Crunch at Eielson Air Force Base.

"The importance of the cookie drive is for morale building," said Jeanette Pauer, OCC project coordinator and wife of Lt. Col. Brett Pauer, a member of the 353rd Combat Training Squadron. "Providing home-baked cookies for our single Airmen is a simple sentiment that sends a message that there is big family here at Eielson who appreciates them."

With temperatures (at times) dipping down to minus 30 F, the harsh cold and dark environment of Interior Alaska poses some unique challenges. However, those challenges didn't prevent volunteers at Eielson AFB from contributing to the project.

Labels: , , ,

I had a cat on my wrists when I came by earlier.

I was stationed at Eielson in the late 1960's and if it is only getting down to -30° things are getting warmer because when I was in the 353rd Combat Training Squadron's Arctic Survival School in early March, 1968 the temperature reached -42° for a low and -35° for a high while we were out on out little camping trip.

Eielson is 30 miles from Fairbanks.

Post a Comment

MY INGREDIENTS

  • I'm SantaBarbarian
  • From Santa Barbara, California, United States
Recipe of Me

Click for Santa Barbara, California Forecast


Local Food and Local Farms

www.flickr.com
This is a Flickr badge showing public items from santa barbarian tagged with Food. Make your own badge here.
Help end world hunger

LOCAL LINKS