Whole Foods "Emporium"
Whole Foods Markets Inc. is opening a two-story emporium on Arroyo Parkway in Pasadena on Wednesday that will be its largest store west of the Rockies. More than 50% larger than a typical Ralphs or Vons grocery, it will include a wine and tapas lounge, a massage room, an in-house fresh jam and jelly center, a sandwich bar and a seafood counter serving ceviche and shrimp cocktails.LACurbed has more on this "ginormous" store.
...A key component of an aggressive Southern California expansion plan by the Austin, Texas-based company, the two-story building fills an entire block and has a quasi-industrial look of red brick, corrugated steel and glass panels. Its 300-space parking lot is below the store.
... Shoppers will enter through a 6,000-square-foot produce department stocked with 500 items and a juice bar.
...Health products, the massage room and 18 check stands fill up the remaining first-floor space.
A "carveyor" moves shopping carts between the first and second floors and runs parallel to the escalator.
The second level is essentially an upscale food court with Korean barbecue, vegetarian foods cooked to order, a meat carving station, sushi, organic sake and beer. Shoppers can eat in a sit-down area or proceed to browse the large wine department, butcher shop and the packaged goods aisles. - Latte Times
Get a load of some of their "offerings"
- Wine and Tapas Lounge
- Sandwich Bar
- Seafood Bar
- Freshly roasted nuts.
- Italian Trattoria
- Extensive wine department with more than 1,200 selections
- Fresh donuts made by the hour
- Tortilla machine making fresh corn and flour tortillas.
- Eco-chic apparel, accessories and home goods.
- Chocolate island with more than 50 chocolate choices and white and dark chocolate fountains.
- Free wireless internet access.
- Massage room, staffed with massage therapists.
- "Veggie Grill" program with a daily rotation of fresh picked items, ready to be grilled to order by in-house chef.
- A "Custom Catch" program where shoppers select any available seafood and customize with marinades or seasonings. Team members will cook to order: charbroil, bake, steam, deep fry, sauté, or smoked with an in-store seafood smoker.
Geee. Why even go home anymore. They even have their own blogs and podcasts. What next? Whole Foods Hotels for the whole Whole Foods shopping experience? Or, perhaps, their own weather station to warn of the various "micro-climates" within one of these monsters stores?
I'm hoping that their plans to infiltrate Santa Barbara are still on the "really smallish" side. And, watch out...they could be planning a monster store near you!