When in Cambria....
Olallieberry Caramel Stuffed French Toast from the Ollallieberry Inn.
Yield: 6 servings
Prep Time: 15 minutes
Cook Time: 30-40 minutes
Delicious French toast for special occasions. Easy to prepare and can be prepped the day before. Strawberries or other berries can be substituted for the Olallieberries. This is a favorite of our guests. We get many requests for this dish.
1/2 cup butter;
2/3 cup light brown sugar;
1 (8-ounce) loaf French Bread;
3 extra large eggs;
1 cup milk;
6 ounces cream cheese, softened;
1/2 cup olallieberry preserves;
sliced almonds (optional)
1. In a small saucepan, combine butter & brown sugar; heat to boiling. Pour into a 9x9-inch baking dish.
2. Remove 1: from each end of the French bread; slice into 12 1-inch slices.
3. Beat eggs and milk until smooth.
4. Using tongs, quickly dip 6 slices of bread into egg mixture; arrange in single layer over brown sugar mixture.
5. Mix cream cheese and olallieberry preserves; spread evenly over bread slices in the baking dish.
6. Dip remaining bread slices in egg mixture; arrange over cream cheese/olallieberry mixture. Slowly pour any remaining egg mixture over bread slices.
7. If desired, top with sliced almonds.
8. Refrigerate, ocered, several hours or overnight.
9. Remove from refrigerator and sit to room temperaure.
10. Bake, uncovered, in a preheated 350-degree F. oven until browned (30-40 minutes).
11. Let stand about 5 minutes before serving; sprinkle with powdered sugar.