- 1504 - Michelangelo's David is unveiled in Florence
- 1900 Galveston, Texas, was struck by a hurricane that killed about 6,000 people
- 1923 - Honda Point Disaster: Nine US Navy destroyers run aground off the California coast
- 1930 - 3M begins marketing Scotch transparent tape
- 1935 Sen. Huey P. Long, the "Kingfish" of Louisiana politics, was shot at the state capital building in Baton Rouge
- 1951 - Treaty of San Francisco: In San Francisco, California, 48 nations sign a peace treaty with Japan in formal recognition of the end of the Pacific War
- 1966 The TV series "Star Trek" premiered on NBC
- 1971 - In Washington, DC, the John F. Kennedy Center for the Performing Arts is inaugurated
- 1974 President Ford granted an unconditional pardon to former President Nixon
- 2004 "60 Minutes Wednesday" aired a report questioning President George W. Bush's National Guard service
King Richard I of England (Richard the Lionhearted)
Jonathan Taylor Thomas, and....
I'm in a deep funk. I didn't want to get out of bed this entire weekend. It's not fun having a BDay in September these days. Feeling old. Feeling like my life is passing by and I haven't contributed anything of import to this world. Think I'm going to buy myself a big ol' chocolate cake and eat it by myself this evening. Whoooo hoooo.