Don't Eat the Fish
...Tom Raftican, president of United Anglers of Southern California, was not surprised to learn of the quarantine. But he was concerned for the health of anyone consuming seafood containing the toxin.
"We see sea lions washed up on the beach from the domoic acid poisoning," he said. "It's hard to escape the consequences when you see large mammals like that in a state of such illness.
"We're also concerned for the health of our ocean," he added. "These are forage fish. They are key to the health of the whole ecosystem. If you take out an important piece of the food chain, it will affect the other parts." Domoic acid is a naturally occurring toxin that can cause humans to get sick. Dogs, cats, birds and other household pets also are susceptible to such poisoning and should not eat the seafood either, officials warned.- Latte Times