« Home | I know this isn't desert related.... » | Want some deals on Kitchen items? » | Happy Thanksgiving! » | Ina Garten's Cranberry Fruit Conserve » | Another Magazine I love.... » | Just in time for the Holiday Shopping Season.... » | I think I watch the Food Network too much... » | Specialty Food Magazine » | There's wrong... » | Making the Whole Holiday Blue in MA » 

Saturday, November 26, 2005 

Cyber Cookie Swap!



The Domestic Goddess is cooking up a sublime collection of cookies in "flogtopia". I thought that since cranberries were of "holiday topic", it would be good to share a cookie with them involved. I have to admit, I love the little tart nuggets.

I updated a recipe that I think was found in Sunset Magazine...it has been a couple of years, but I remember they were delicious, and, a little unusual of a combo for a cookie. I made a few changes and then gathered my faithful "guinea pigs" for taste testing. It did raise some eyebrows at first, but one bite, everyone said..."oh, yeah. This is a keeper recipe." The cranberry and the citrus work so well together! These are on the delicate side, though, so handle with care....eat with abandon.

COCONUT CRANBERRY COOKIES

Yield - 24
3/4 lb Unsalted Butter, room temperature
16 oz Granulated Sugar
14 oz Flour
1/4 tsp Salt
2 tsp Vanilla
1 tbls Fresh Grated Orange Peel
1 tsp Baking Powder
7 oz Dried Cranberries
5 oz Sweetened flaked dried coconut

Preheat oven to 350.


Beat butter, sugar, orange peel and vanilla until smooth.
In separate bowl, mix flour, baking powder, and salt. Add to butter mixture, stir to mix then beat on low speed until dough comes together, about 5 minutes.


Mix in cranberries and coconut.

Shape dough into 1" balls and place on cookie sheets lined with parchment (or silpat) about 2" apart. "Smoosh" down just slightly with the palm of your hand. (Dough is a little "crumbly")

Bake until cookie edges just begin to brown, about 8-11 minutes. Shorter baking time will yield a chewier cookie, loner baking time will yield a crispier cookie)

Cool on sheets for 5 minutes. Transfer to rack to cool completely. Enjoy. Remember to share.

And, speaking of cookie swaps, Martha has a very helpful "brochure" on things to do for your cookie swap party you can download...or just browse (pdf)




Hi Jillian--They look and sound good. I like those little tart guys too...and coconut? Oh yeah!

I love cookies with cranberries! It gives me a way to justify their consumption! Great recipe!

God those look terrific...and be sure have a look at my sister-in-laws website her sweets are out of this world...

http://www.motherruckers.com/

A pound of sugar? I think this should be 2 cups?

I got this recipe (or one very much like it) from a Challenge butter ad in the magazines a couple of years ago. I agree--it's a great cookie!

amendment to my previous post...

Goes to show that one can always learn something, no matter how long one has been around. I knew how much flour, confectioners sugar, butter made a pound, but never bothered about granulated sugar--a pound does equal two cups--double duh!

Never seen a cranberry cookie before, but looks like something worth trying. Thanks for sharing this!

those cookies sound and look really tasty...I bake at the Oregon Caves Chateau and I bake many different verities of cookies myself. I haven't ever tried cranberries before and I love cranberries! check out my blog and recipes:

thechateaubaker.blogspot.com

I made these cookies yesterday. i was disappointed because they spread out and totally overcooked in my convection oven in six minutes. The dough was not crumbly but very greasy from the butter. I wonder if 3 sticks of butter is too much or if more flour and coconut is needed. Also, most recipes are in not in ounces. Can it be revised to 1 3/4 cups flour etc? The cookies tasted okay but seemed like more of something was needed. kestral

Post a Comment

MY INGREDIENTS

  • I'm SantaBarbarian
  • From Santa Barbara, California, United States
Recipe of Me

Click for Santa Barbara, California Forecast


Local Food and Local Farms

www.flickr.com
This is a Flickr badge showing public items from santa barbarian tagged with Food. Make your own badge here.
Help end world hunger

LOCAL LINKS